Chloe Kaye

Chloe Kaye
2/18/07 to 6/4/08

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

How did I get here?

That is the question I wake up asking every day, until my mind fills with the memories of June 4, 2008.

Our story starts with a tragedy, unfortunately. On June 4th of this year I was almost 8 months pregnant and had three beautiful daughters who were 7, 5, and 15 months. On this particular day I was unloading dry cleaning from the car and had left my 15 month old in the car with it running while she slept, since I couldn't carry her and the laundry. I put the clothes up, got her out of her seat, went to the front of the car and turned the key off. The car began rolling back on us, with us trapped beside the car and behind the open door.

The door kept hitting us as the car rolled down our drive way. I had my daughter in my arms, I tried everything to pull us inside the car, and I just couldn't. The last thing I remember is grabbing the turn signal to hang on to, and it broke....

I woke up hearing someone scream for help... wait... I thought... that's me screaming for help. I came to reality. I was under the car, a tire on top of me. I was burning. I could hear my neighbors behind me... jacking the car up.. and then..... "THERE'S A BABY UNDER THERE!" My 15 month old daughter had somehow ended up on the other side of the car. She died that day, not too far from me on our front lawn while paramedics and firemen worked to save her, she closed her eyes and took her last breath. I was taken from under the car, and rushed to the emergency room where they preformed a c section and exploratory surgery to see if i had any internal damage. I was only 31 weeks pregnant. My daughter, Emrie, was born on the day her sister, Chloe died. That's hard to swallow, even harder to admit.

Emrie has now spent 39 days in the NICU, she has survived NEC, but now needs a surgery to repair her intestines. She has had too many blood transfusions to count, and also has two heart murmurs. She went through a stage of not wanting to breathe on her own, but has over come that.

And that is how I got here...

3 comments:

AudreyO said...

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss :( There truly are no words to offer my most heartfelt condolences.

Dee said...

I admire your courage to share your story with us.

Wrlddiva said...

even in the midst of chaos there is divine order. even when we do not understand. my prayers go out to you and your family